Philadelphia: Published by Jas. B. Rodgers, nos. 52 & 54 North Sixth St. 1866.
Octavo (19.5 x 13 cm.), vi, 212 pages. Frontispiece. FIRST EDITION. A report on the activities of the Philadelphia war relief operation named the Cooper Shop Volunteer Refreshment Saloon. "The saloon, established in 1861 in the cooperage of William M. Cooper & Company, was a volunteer relief agency that provided meals, hospital care, and facilities for washing, sleeping, and writing to over 400,000 military personnel, refugees, and freedmen during the Civil War." (Library of Congress World Digital Library). "The soldier forsook the endearments of the domestic hearth, and with brave spirit went to the field of contest in support of the grand principles involved in the preservation of order. The citizens of Philadelphia, with a liberality that does them lasting honor, conceived and carried out the design of rendering them service by the way, and assuaging their sufferings and the cravings of appetite" (from the Preface). The engraved frontispiece depicts a line of soldiers in front of the Cooper Shop with volunteer workers in the background. Because the saloon served so many soldiers returning from war, the medical needs of some of these soldiers demanded creation of a Cooper Shop Hospital, which was founded in November of 1861. ~ Pencil collation marks to verso of rear free end paper; some light soiling to a few pages. In publisher's textured green cloth; front cover bears a gilt-stamped vignette of the shop and its American flag (taken but modified from the frontispiece); the rear cover bears the same image in blind-stamp. Corners lightly bumped, some chipping to the head and foot of spine, otherwise very good. Inscribed in pencil on the rear paste-down, "John Welch, 139 Federal Street"; and in ink on the verso of the front free endpaper, "Compliments of Mrs. A. Horner, Phila. July 4th 1786." This same Horner inscription appears in a copy at the National Library of Medicine. That copy bears two additional inscriptions, and the Journal of the Franklin Institute (1877) indicates a copy of this work was donated by Mrs. A. Horner, also in 1876. Mrs. A.[Abigail] Horner became "Lady Principal of the Cooper Shop Hospital" after the death of the previous and original Principal, Mrs. Anna M. Ross (pages 54-56). Horner tendered her final report regarding the Hospital on September 9th, 1865, months after the war had ended, but the work of the hospital had continued. "Like the Temple of Janus at Rome, it was open in time of war, and closed in time of peace." [OCLC locates five copies; Sabin vol. 12, page 342, H. 50402].