Washington, D.C. The Printing House of Jas. C. Wood, 1927.
Octavo (22.25 x 15.25 cm.), 83 pages. Ads. Title from cover. First edition. A church cookbook from Capitol Hill. Fried Cymlins, Verdant Spinach, Tomato Foam, Yoda-Yoda Salad, Spiffy, Imp Cake, Nutmeg Melons, Quaker Sweetbits – with such headings, some of the two hundred thirty recipes simply ask for attention. One can be grateful for the whimsy while at the same time recognizing the "tried and true" territory it interrupts: staid and reliable loaves, rolls, custards, and pies make up the remainder. Now known under its founding name, Capitol Hill Presbyterian Church, the congregation was one of many new churches that organized in the District of Columbia in response to the movement of populations during and after the Civil War. Beginning in April 1864, members met in various rooms on the Hill, including the House Post Office and Post Roads Committee Room of the Capitol Building. In 1868, a stalled project to establish a National Presbyterian Church made building funds available, on condition the name of the congregation change to Metropolitan Presbyterian Church. A cornerstone was laid the following year, at Fourth Street and Independence Avenue Southeast, and a dedication service held in 1872, both with President Ulysses S. Grant in attendance. In 1955, the Metropolitan Church merged with Eastern Presbyterian, in the process resurrecting the old name Capitol Hill Presbyterian. The ambition of establishing a National Presbyterian Church had at long last been realized when Covenant-First Presbyterian was officially declared the National Church in October 1947. Stapled in brown wrappers titled in black with a decorated border; foot of spine chipped and a bit of edge rubbing. Some short annotations in pencil and ink; one page darkened. Overall near very good. Unrecorded. [OCLC reports no copies; not in Brown or Cagle].